This is a blog where people can look at my art work and can see what I am currently doing in the world of art.

New Web Site

So I now have an official website, I hope that all of you will check it out. For some reason you can't find it when you google my name, that will be fixed soon. http://www.annieaube.com

Artist Statement

Art for me is a very tactile experience. It should engage the viewer in a very physical way. Either a physical sensation created by layers of visual texture within the piece or literal texture i.e. rough felt, soft silk, etc. My ideal show would be one where everything was open and allowed to be touched. I like my work to be ambiguous; I want my viewers to come to their own conclusions about what I’m trying to say. I thrive on the chance that is involved in making a piece; the happy-accident is something that I live for. I also use Irony in my work, all of my “blankets” are completely useless, I love that idea that something which has all these perceived connotations is turned completely around thus shedding light on the object and on the perceptions that our culture takes for granted. For me art is a window into those things which go unseen every day (the mundane), or which our culture does not want to see (the taboo).

Resume

  • EDUCATION
  • Bachelors of Arts in Art 2006
  • SHOWS
  • Members Exhibition, IGCA, Jan 1st- 31st 2007
  • 100 x 100 Exhibition, International Gallery of Contemporary Art, Oct. 28th-Nov. 26th 2006
  • No Big Heads, University of Alaska, Nov. 1st– 23rd 2006
  • Stitched Together (solo senior show), Mat-Su College, Oct 10th-18th 2006
  • Palmer Arts Council Pavilion, August 24th-September 4th. 2006
  • Fiber Arts Student Showcase, Mat-Su College, November 2005
  • ORGANIZATIONS
  • Valley Fiber Arts Guild, 2006-2007
  • Palmer Arts Council, 2006-2007
  • International Gallery of Contemporary Art, 2006-2007

Why Fiber Arts?

Some of you might be wondering why I chose something as obscure as Fiber arts, instead of painting or sculpture. One of the things that I like about fiber arts which you cannot get with any other medium, a physical closeness. We as human beings have a close relationship with cloth, so close that we don't even perceive it most of the time. Cloth has been what has allowed us to live in cold climates (like Alaska), and to keep warm at night in the dessert. Every morning we drap ourselves in cloth, and when we go to bed at night. I like the idea of using something so taken for granted. Some of my art work is perceived as being somewhat creepy, this could be because of the closeness people instictually feel towards cloth and the way that I have used it to make them feel some what uncomfortable.

Friday, March 2, 2007

Cool New Stuff

So I would love all of you to check out this new site that I'm working on. So what I need from all of you is for you to go to this web site and rate my art work annieaube1.artfaceoff.com the more votes I get the better it is for me. You can also find this link in my favorite link category, under Annie Art Faceoff. So please go on and vote. All the pieces below are things that I have been working on since I did the embroideries. Most of these are based on similar ideas to the ones I was working on before the embroideries. Ideas such as texture and vulvas.

Black Cloth Layered fabric, with different textures

White vulvas

Black Vulvas

Creepy Kid Cloth

No comments: